South India’s most favorite tiffin item is masala dosa, which no one can disagree. How about having the same masalas inside a soft fluffy idly?.Hmmmmm,can give it a try for our little helpers at home who always have a frowning face if idly is on the menu for breakfast. Bring a smile on their cute faces by trying this wholesome healthy stuff with their all time favourite potatoes along with some vegetables. Lets move on to the ingredients.
- 3 large potatoes.
- Idly batter.
- 3-4 small onions finely chopped.
- Two teaspoon of ginger garlic paste.(add two green chillies to it and grind smooth.)
- Two medium sized carrots.(chop into small pieces.)
- One handful of peas.(I have taken frozen, if you add fresh peas make sure to boil it.)
- One teaspoon of turmeric and garam masala powder.
- Handful of coriander leaves.
- Two teaspoon oil.
- One teaspoon of cumin and fennel seeds.
- Salt to taste.
- Boil potatoes, peel the skin, mash it and keep aside.
- Heat a nonstick pan, add oil, cumin and fennel seeds, once you get the aroma of seeds add onions and sauté.
- When onions turns soft add ginger, garlic and green chili paste and sauté until the raw smell goes away.
- Add carrots and peas,cook for five minutes and add all masala powders, salt and with help of a masher mash the cooked vegetables.
- After mashing the vegetables, add boiled potatoes and coriander, give it a good mix, and again smash the whole mixture well, check salt.
- Switch off the flame, let the mixture cool completely.
- After 30 minutes, divide the vegetable mixture into small lemon size balls and gently press in the middle and make small patties and keep it ready.
- Now heat the idly pan, scoop half ladle of batter and pour the first layer into each mould,then place one patty on to of the batter, now scoop another half ladle batter and fill it on top of the patty. Repeat this process for every mould.
- Make sure the patties should be completely covered with the idly batter.
- Let the stuffed idly cook for 7 minutes. Then the healthy rice cake with vegetables are ready to serve.
- Take a knife and gently slit the idly into two halves and serve the colorful beauty with coconut chutney or can have it with idly podi..Mix podi in oil and just spread on top of the idly and serve it.
- You can also spread the vegetable mixture on bread and toast both sides with butter/ghee and pack for school.
- After spreading the mixture you can add rava/sesame seeds on top and toast it which will give a crispy finish.
Have presented with bread and idly. Give it a try and leave your suggestions.