Rajma chawal, kidney beans gravy cooked with rich spices and served with rice is a famous dish in north-India. But how about having this healthy bean as a frankie by preparing it like masala and topping with some fresh vegetables tossed with a dash of mint sauce? Quite interesting right, even I was thrilled and excited while making it.As you all know kidney beans are embedded with lot of proteins and when it is being dumped in roti it turns to be a complete meal. Check the ingredients below for this interesting frankie.
- 150gms of rajma
- 75gms of finely chopped white onions.(if not available you can use normal onions too.)
- 10gms each of finely chopped ginger and garlic(paste is also fine.)
- 100gms of chopped ripe tomatoes.
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder and gram masala,1 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- urad dhal, mustard seeds, fennel seeds,cumin seeds and peppercorns for tempering.
- salt to taste and coriander leaves for garnish.
- Soak the kidney beans overnight with water and boil.(keep for 3 whistles in cooker and reserve the water.)
- Infuse oil, add all spices for tempering once it splutters add onions, ginger and garlic, sauté till onions turn golden brown.
- Now add tomatoes and salt, cook until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- sprinkle all masala powders and give it a stir and cook for two minutes.
- Add the boiled rajma to the masala, check salt. If required add the reserved boiled water of rajma(don’t add too much of water as it turns the roti’s soggy(while stuffing) and cook until rajma sucks all masalas and oil separates from pan.
- Make sure your masala is thick and not like gravy and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Now the masala is ready, next we will move on to the ingredients of mint sauce.
INGREDIENTS(for mint sauce and toppings)
- 20gms of mint leaves
- 30gms of curd
- 1 slit green chili and salt to taste.
- 4-5 chapatti.
- square shape cut aluminum foil.
- fresh vegetables. Make your own choice of vegetables. I have taken julienned(long thin strips.) lettuce, onions,tomatoes and capsicum.
- Grind all above ingredients into a blender and grind smooth.Don’t add water and add salt, keep it aside.
- keep all three items in a place.
- Place an aluminum foil in a plate and place the chapatti on top of it, now keep the rajma masala in one end of chapatti and top-up with the vegetables and mint sauce and roll it carefully.
Rajma frankie is ready to serve.
I have presented in three ways. You can have it as a frankie, or as a vegetable with any pulav or u can just mix this masala with rice and pack for lunch by adding some ghee to it.
Enjoy doing your own way and give a complete meal to ur family members.